UCLA Extension offers over 100 University of California Academic Senate-approved certificates. Whether you are looking to advance in your current job or start a new career, a certificate program will help you gain the essential skills and experience to advance in your profession.

View All Certificates & Specializations

Establishing Candidacy
To establish candidacy for a specific certificate program, simply click on the “apply” button on the certificate page and follow the prompts.

Academic requirements and details, such as whether the program extends eligibility for international students to enter the U.S. to study can be found on each certificate page. Most certificates require no special admission or application requirements. Prospective students are encouraged to establish candidacy as soon as possible as the terms and conditions of award are fixed by the date of your candidacy. Curricula are subject to change. Please note: candidacy and application fees are not transferable or refundable.

Upon payment of fees, candidacy is established for a period of time covering normal progress toward completion. The duration of normal progress varies by program but is generally calculated for a pace of 18 units per year.

To ensure currency and relevance of your program, most courses must be completed within five years of your award date. This means that courses completed more than five years before your award date that are part of your record and your curriculum may have to be repeated even if earned with a passing grade.

Most programs allow for a limited amount of advanced standing and the waiver of certain course requirements based on coursework completed at other accredited institutions or, in some cases, relevant professional experience; for details, contact the program counselor. This contact information can be found on your certificate webpage.

Some of Extension's certificates and specializations have overlapping curricula. Individual courses may be counted toward multiple certificate programs, however at least 50% of the academic units applied to each certificate must be unique.

Requesting the Award
When you are close to completing your certificate program, contact your program counselor to request an audit of your transcript to expedite the posting of your award and to produce the certificate. Students who complete their certificate programs with a GPA of 3.5 or higher have the honor "Awarded with Distinction" cited on the certificate and posted to their transcript. Awards are posted only after final grades have been recorded. Formal graduation exercises are conducted annually at the end of each spring.

Replacement Certificates
Replacement for a lost certificate is available for a fee of $45 and can be ordered online through the UCLA Extension Student Portal (select Special Requests) or over the phone by calling Enrollment Services at (310) 825-9971.

Certificate & Specialization FAQs



UCLA Extension Resources From career coaching to professional development and networking events, there are many great resources available to our certificate candidates and alumni. View Resources

UCLA Alumni Association Membership Upon certificate completion, UCLA Extension academic certificate holders are automatically a member of the UCLA Alumni Association at the basic membership level. The UCLA Alumni Association is a strong and active network of alumni spanning the country and the globe. Members can participate in exciting programs and activities including world-class cultural events, one of the top athletic programs in the country, and continuous opportunities to meet fellow alumni, expand social and professional networks, and feed one's intellectual curiosity. For information about registering for an online UCLA Alumni Association account or to acquire your UCLA Alumni ID Number, please reference Frequently Asked Questions at alumni.ucla.edu.

BruinCards for Certificate Candidates
UCLA Extension certificate candidates are eligible for BruinCard guest identification cards for a $10 fee. The card is valid for the duration of your program. For convenience, our certificate/BruinCard holders can deposit money on account with UCLA, then use the card as a fee-free debit card at the ASUCLA bookstore, campus food facilities, and various enterprises in Westwood Village. To simplify your commute, cardholders may purchase discounted TAP cards valid on L.A. Metro buses, and Flash Passes valid on the Santa Monica Blue Bus and Culver City lines. For more information about BruinCard, see BruinCard FAQ or call our Enrollment Office at (310) 825-9971.

The BruinCard is an optional photo ID. Our certificate candidates are not required to have a BruinCard to enroll in Extension classes, and all Extension students with a receipt showing current enrollment are eligible for educational discounts at the ASUCLA computer store and services provided by the UCLA Libraries.

Your certificate candidacy allows you to enjoy student affiliate recreation privileges on the UCLA campus for a nominal fee of $50/quarter. Enjoy racquetball or a workout before class, or unwind with weekend windsurfing at UCLA's Marina Aquatic Center. To pay fees, present your current BruinCard along with a printed verification of current enrollment from Extension's website (Student Portal) at the Recreation Sales and Service office at the John Wooden Center. For more information, contact UCLA Recreation directly at (310) 825-3701 or email info@recreation.ucla.edu.