Who Can Enroll?

As UCLA's principal provider of continuing education, the majority of UCLA Extension courses are designed for the post-baccalaureate professional-level student. Therefore, students enrolling are typically 18 years of age or older. However, some UNEX courses are open for enrollment to students younger than 18 years old. Students must be 21 to enroll in viticulture, enology, and other courses where wine or other alcoholic beverages are studied and served.

Special Requirements for Travel Study

Minors may not enroll in travel study tours without the consent of the department; students 18 years or younger must be accompanied by parent or guardian.

Special Requirements for Courses

Many courses may require prerequisites of other courses or knowledge of a given subject area. Students must check these requirements online or in the catalog prior to enrollment.

How to Enroll-It's Easy!

4 easy ways to register for Extension classes:

1. Online

At our website you can search for course titles or browse our catalog for courses and programs of interest to you. When you have selected a course that is available for registration, click "Add to Cart" and proceed to the checkout.

2. By Mail

Mail your enrollment form with payment to:
Department K,
UCLA Extension,
P.O. Box 24901
Los Angeles, CA 90024-0901

3. By Phone

Call (800) 825-9971.
Have your Course and Section Number#s and American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, or VISA card ready.

4. In Person

Visit us during office hours at our main offices in Westwood:
Student and Alumni Services
10995 Le Conte Ave. 1st Floor>
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Regular Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-5pm (closed on University Holidays)

5. Paying By Wire or Electronic (ACH) Transfers

Payment may be made by wire or Automated Clearing House (ACH) transfers. A $20 wire processing fee must be included with each wire payment. For international wire transfers, please be sure to include the funds conversion rate when totaling the transfer payment amount.

To ensure accurate and prompt accounting for transfers, please provide the following information to your bank:

UCLA banking information:
Bank of America
Global Client Services
Building A, 10th Floor
1655 Grant Street
Concord, CA 94520

ACH Routing No.: 121000358
Wires Routing No.: 026009593
Bank Account Name: UC Regents
Bank Account Number: 1499650103
Swift Code (for international transfers): BOFAUS3N

  • Include "UCLA Extension - 310-206-4426" in the wire description
  • The purpose of the transfer and any identifying numbers (invoice, student ID)

Send a copy of the wire receipt from your bank to wires@uclaextension.edu.

6. Paying for Fees Billed to a Third Party

Payment of tuition and fees may be billed to a third party - defined as a company or a government agency. If a company or a government agency is paying for the tuition and fees, UCLA Extension must receive a Purchase Order that contains an authorization to enroll a student and send an invoice.

A Purchase Order must be on official company or government letterhead and contain the following information in order for an enrollment to be processed and an invoice generated:

  • Name of billed Company/Government Agency
  • Email address to send the bill
  • Mailing address for correspondence
  • Phone number
  • Name, phone number, and email address of person to contact for questions or payments
  • What is authorized for billing
  • Name of the student
  • Course(s) title, Reg#, section number
  • Amount
  • Approved by someone with authorization to spend, signature and printed name

Send Purchase Order and a completed Enrollment Form directly to UCLA Extension Cashier & Financial Services in one of the following ways:
Email: po@uclaextension.edu
Fax: (310) 825-5686
Mail: UCLA Extension
Cashier & Financial Services
10995 LeConte Avenue, Room 330
Los Angeles, CA 90024

A Purchase Order may not be accepted if there are any delinquent payments for the account. If accepted, then the enrollment request will be processed. Please allow 2-3 business days for the enrollment to be completed. Payment is due upon receipt of the invoice. Payment options are check, credit card or EFT. Please refer to the appropriate payment sections for information.

Wait Lists

Courses with enrollment limits that fill are closed to further enrollment. However, many of these limited courses have wait lists. To be added to a wait list: on the web, add the course to your cart and complete the checkout process or call UCLA Extension Enrollment Services at (800) 825‑9971. You will not be charged.

As spaces open, wait-listed students are contacted by phone or email, offered space, and provided enrollment instructions. Priority is given to certificate candidates who need to complete high-demand sections for their programs.

Pricing and Promotions

Discounts, such as those provided by the UCLA Alumni Association, must be claimed at the time of enrollment. Enter your discount code on the web when prompted to do so, or provide the code to the enrollment specialist when enrolling by phone or in person. When enrolling by mail, discounts are applied based on the postmark date on the envelope.

If you qualify for more than one discount, choose the discount that offers the greatest fee-waiver; you cannot compound discounts. When you enroll online, the system presents the most advantageous pricing possible.

Restrictions | Permission to Enroll

Many of our courses and certificate programs are restricted, requiring you to apply for admission and obtain permission to enroll. The course description usually describes the minimum requirements for admission. You can request permission to enroll in a restricted course from our website, or call Student and Alumni Services at (800) 825-9971. You may be subject to a nominal application fee. If approval is granted, you will be contacted and provided instructions on how to complete your enrollment and submit payment.


You may attend, without charge, the first scheduled class in a course of 6 or more meetings-unless otherwise stated in the course listing and only if space/enrollment limitations permit. Visitors are not permitted at single-admission, weekend, or online courses. Before visiting, call (800) 825-9971 to see if the course has filled and closed. Visitors are not permitted at single-admission, weekend, or online courses. Visitors with disabilities should call UCLA Extension Services for Students with Disabilities at (310) 825-7851 for access and parking information.

Changes in Credit Status

At the time of enrollment, you may have been asked which credit and grading preference you prefer for a course (credit/letter-grade, credit P/NP, not for credit, etc). If you change your mind, please send an email to records@uclaextension.edu or call Student and Alumni Services at (800) 310-9971.

Change your credit status at Student Portal and selecting "Change Credit Status" or by calling Student and Alumni Services at (800) 825-3708, faxing your request to (310) 206-3458, or emailing records@uclaextension.edu.

Enrollment in 1-day or single weekend courses may be given by you to another individual if on the day(s) of instruction, you cannot attend. Enrollments in all other courses are nontransferable.

Concurrent Enrollment

Opportunities to take UCLA regular session daytime courses are available to the public Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters on a limited basis through UCLA Extension's concurrent enrollment program. After all full-time matriculated UCLA students have been accommodated, Extension students may enroll under the following conditions:

  • space is available
  • the Extension student submits proof that course prerequisites have been meet
  • the instructor determines the student is prepared for the course and provides his/her consent
  • the Extension student has achieved a GPA of 2.0 or higher in baccalaureate-level degree credit classes already taken

Undergraduate classes (XLC 1-199) are transferable for unit, subject credit, and grade point average (GPA) in the college of Letters and Sciences at UCLA.

XLC 200-299 and XLC 400-499 are UCLA regular session Graduate and Professional level courses. Units earned at the graduate or professional level through Concurrent Enrollment will not provide advanced standing to students who are subsequently admitted to higher degree programs through UCLA's Graduate Division. (Certain course requirements for higher degrees may be waived, but only with the approval of the Graduate Division on the recommendation of the student's department at the time of admission.)

XLC 500-series courses (doctoral-level seminars) are open to Concurrent Enrollment but subject to various approvals. The process takes approximately 8 weeks. For requirements, contact Extension's Dean's Office, 10995 Le Conte Avenue Room 770, Los Angeles, CA 90024-1333. Call (310) 825-2362 for further information.

Inquiries regarding UCLA admissions and transfer policies should be directed to the Undergraduate Admissions Office at UCLA, (310) 825-3101, or to the appropriate academic department on campus.

Petitions to enroll are explained in the Concurrent Enrollment Brochure, which includes information on course fees, drop schedules, credit status, refunds, and withdrawals. For UCLA Department and School approval requirements, click here. Information also is available by calling Student and Alumni services at (800) 825-9971.

Summer Pricing

For the Summer Quarter, Extension courses numbered 1-199 are priced in concert with offerings of UCLA Summer Sessions. For further information about UCLA Summer sessions visit www.summer.ucla.edu.

Click here to view instructions for students in Concurrent Enrollment courses requiring access to UCLA course websites.

To plan your schedule and check space availability, please consult the UCLA Schedule of Classes at http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/.
For medical school academic planning go to http://career.ucla.edu/.

Concurrent Course Designations

Please read the following carefully to be certain that the courses you select will meet your particular needs. Inquiries regarding UCLA admissions policies, graduation requirements, and other matters pertaining to degree programs should be directed to the Undergraduate Admissions Office at UCLA (310) 825-3101 or the appropriate academic department. Credit earned through Extension's Open Doors Program will be designated on transcripts with the prefix "XLC."

XLC 1-199 : Undergraduate-level courses (i.e., UCLA regular session undergraduate courses in which UCLA Extension students may enroll) are transferable for unit, subject, and GPA credit toward the Bachelor's Degree at UCLA's College of Letters and Science. Courses numbered 1 to 99 are lower division (freshman/sophomore); those numbered 100 to 199 are upper division (junior/senior). Courses numbered 195, 196, 197, 198 and 199 are deemed Upper Division Tutorials . In addition to faculty approval for admission, completion and approval of a special Course Contract is required for courses numbered 99, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199. See attached Course Contract form.

XLC 200 to XLC 299; XLC 400 to XLC 499: UCLA graduate and professional level courses in which Extension students enroll. Credit earned in graduate study through concurrent enrollment may be used to satisfy requirements of higher degrees at UCLA and at other institutions at the discretion of the student's graduate division, department, school, or program advisor. (Applicability rules at UCLA are described in the publication Standards and Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA.)

500-series (Special Petition Required): Enrollment in UCLA 500-series courses (doctoral-level directed studies and seminars) requires a petition, indicating:

  • A reason for enrollment (e.g., course is required for completion of degree but is not currently offered at the student's home institution), giving proposed outline of course;
  • Confirmation of graduate standing and need for enrollment from the student's academic advisor or chair at home campus;
  • Verification of sponsorship from the faculty member with whom the student will be working (including proposed course outline) and approval by the Chair of the school offering the course;
  • Endorsement by UCLA's Dean of Continuing Education; and/or
  • Approval of the UCLA Graduate Division.

To allow time for evaluation and approval, the petition process must begin 8 weeks prior to the start date of the quarter in which you plan to enroll. This process is coordinated by the Extension's Dean's Office, UCLA Extension, Suite 770, 10995 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024-2883.

Cross-Enrollment Program

Students with undergraduate standing who are enrolled at any California Community College or California State University may enroll on a concurrent basis for a maximum of 1 course per academic term-with a maximum of 2 courses per academic year-upon payment of a nonrefundable reduced cross-enrollment fee (*) and after meeting certain requirements; contact your "home campus" registrar for complete information.

* Cross-enrollment reduced fees are set to the equivalent of community college fees at $35 per quarter unit, which yields $140 for a typical four-unit course or $175 for a five-unit course.